Sunday, November 1, 2009

Movie of the Week: Night Must Fall



"That's the kind of fella I am. I make my mind up about something and then I do it. " This line shows what kind of character Danny is, the kind of character that Robert Montgomery played him as.
Danny is a mysterious, obscure, and darkly alluring man. He comes upon the house of Mrs.Bramson(Whitty) who is believed to be disabled, who is disliked by her house workers, and mistreats her young, repressed niece, Olivia. She, however takes an instant liking to young, wandering Danny-a workers fiance'- who enters her home as her live-in companion. Danny enters the home under a shroud of suspicion from Olivia because of the disappearance of a young girl who is believed to have been murdered. Olivia, played perfectly by Rosalind Russell, finds herself distrusting of Danny but also somehow strangely attracted to him. She is drawn to him as much as she is afraid of him. Even when he catches her searching through his belongings, where she finds a letter and a photo of the missing girl, she still faces him, searches for who he really is.
Danny plays off of how she is drawn to him by manipulating her feelings, her need for something exciting outside her dull and repetitive life.
Robert Montgomery plays the role of Danny in a fascinating way. Not only does he lure you in with the question of whether he is truly at the center of all the mystery surrounding him but, somehow, during my favorite scene in which he begins to tell Olivia something of who he is, he makes you feel some kind of sympathy towards him, makes you drawn to him in the exact way Olivia is. He plays with you, entices you and envelops you in a world of mystery in which you really don't want to be let out of.
Nominated for two Oscars, both for the work of Robert Montgomery and Dame May Whitty, however it won for neither. It was banned in Finland but widely recieved in the US. This movie is what led me to fall in love with Robert Montgomery and has brought me to have listed this as one of my favorite movies of all time. I promise you will not feel disappointed after watching it. I recommend it entirely.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there. Great post as usual. Hope you've had a cool weekend. I had a fantastic Halloween here. Take care. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post-- this movie scares the living daylights out of me each time I watch it! Robert Montgomery is just fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete