Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Modern Day Dame

There aren't many modern day actresses out there who dress classy and are charming, sophisticated and interesting all at the same time. Here I present to you an underrated actress whose beauty I think resembles the classical paintings of a Rubens lady; her name is Romola Garai, a 27 year old English-woman raised until she was 8 in Singapore and Hong Kong who passed up the chance to graduate from university and become a journalist like her mother, for our betterment, I suppose.

Romola Garai (since she is of Hungarian descent, her last name is pronounced Garry) is one of those rare classy and charming actresses who immerses herself in the work she so loves to do. And that was obvious in her first project 2000's t.v. movie The Last Of The Blonde Bombshells in which she portrayed a younger version of Judi Dench's character Elizabeth.
The movie I first noticed her in wasn't this one, however, it was Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights. No, the movie is not a prize and it didn't gain the public's attention, not much of it, at least, but I saw something about her, something rather fascinating and refreshing, something that made her different from many of the young female stars today.

What is it, I kept thinking... what could it possibly be that this Romola Garai possesses that the others do not have?
Well, I thought for a short while, since it didn't take me long to come upon this conclusion, and I realised that it was her maturity, it was her simplicity, it was her ravishing beauty and indefinite appeal, it was the way she absorbed the characters strengths and weaknesses playing out every emotion with indefinable ease and, lastly, it was her grace, ingenuity and sheer acting talent.

Though she is not widely known, Romola Garai has left her mark in Hollywood, and she is still eager to venture further reaching new depths, pursuing art in its truest form. And, while she does so, I will be watching her in every film she is in, noting how incredibly huge her talents have grown and thinking of her always as the graceful lady with a classic beauty as that of a Ruben's painting.




2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever heard of it. She's beautiful. I love these photos. I'll definitely have to check her out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Absolutely classy and beautiful. Just discovered her watching Atonement while being an ex-pat living in Paris.

    ReplyDelete